Monday, June 29, 2009

Proud to be me

This is my blog and I am entitled to my opinion, so here is my rant:

I will not apologize for being feminine. I will not apologize for being a stay at home mom and one an occasion or two you may have found me barefoot and pregnant in my kitchen. I am okay with that. Here is the thing, I am so glad that I get to make choices in life, but if I make a choice (as I have) to be in a role that is more "traditional", who are you to criticize or assume that I was forced to make that choice. Excuse me? Just because I am an intelligent person does not mean I have to use my intelligence in the work place; I am pretty sure my kids can benefit just as much from my brain as a work place. I don't know why it is so cool to deny feminity or to assume girls who are very feminine are dumb. To me, this is giving credence to the ridiculous assumption that men are better than women. NO! I am a girl, a girly girl and I am proud. Being more masculine would not make me "better". As a matter of opinion, I think that girls that deny the feminine aspects of themselves and criticize the femininity in others are wounded and have believed a lie that being masculine is somehow better.

I am glad that I grew up in a generation where I could choose to do anything...but I am sick be of people then assuming that I should do everything in order to be something. I believe that traditional roles are traditional because men and women tend to have certain bents. I believe that I was uniquely created as me; and darn it if I am going to be something else or apologize for who I am. I don't need to do anything to be great. I am "great" because God created me, and I challenge you to show me one place in scripture where God created something or someone and said, "oooo- that one... not so good." He gave me the the body and personality and gifts he deemed to be the right package. I refuse to surrender to the idea that I have to try to rewrap myself in some fallible humans ideals and disguise myself as a different "acceptable" package.

So...that being said I will continue to make the choices for myself and my family that are best for us. Trusting God to show us what is best, of course. I don't need to fit into anyone else's definition of cool. I just don't, and I may not be so nice anymore when people challenge our choices. We just may look like a very traditional family and you know what- we are so cool with that. We are going to do what we believe God wants us to; His is the only other opinion we care about. Yes, I may someday have loads of children- I am cool with that. Yes, I may soon drive a minivan- I am cool with that. Yes, I may someday move to the burbs and I am cool with that. Try calling me a sell out again- I dare you. You might just need a lesson in what this "weak" woman is made of.

2 comments: