Thursday, June 23, 2011

Memories


My dad wrote us (my sister's and I) a sweet email thanking us for Father's Day. In reply, we affirmed what an amazing father he's been. Ditto to my mom. The email discourse has gone on throughout the day and has made me laugh hysterically at the memories from childhood. My parents definitely love "the least of these". It's been great to think back on all the ways they SHOWED us Christ in our daily lives.

We gave countless people rides to church, even if it was miles out of our way. Looking back, I wonder if no one else wanted to pick up some of those folks. It was just so normal in our lives, it never struck me as odd back then. We had multiple people live in our home at various times. And my parents were generous though they barely had two pennies to rub together. I remember them buying boots, hats and gloves for an imigrant family even when it meant they had to go without Christmas gifts. I also remember my dad secretly paying the christian school bill for a young lady trying to work on her own to pay for a christian education. She didn't have christian parents and when he found out she was struggling, he paid the bill. He didn't talk to my mom first, he just trusted that as he was obedient, God would provide for our family (which, of course he did) and my mom was totally agreeable when we got home that day (talk about a hefty godly wife example;)

There are just SO many examples. My favorite was an older window in our church. Her son was on the mission field. I remember MANY times playing at her home while my parents did her yard work or fixed something. When she took ill, my parents cared for her and brought her into our home. When her son came home to the states it was a different state, so my mom flew down there with her and helped settle her into their home. I wonder how much of that affected my desire to become a nurse just like my mama.

My second favorite was another older lady in Minnesota that never did set foot in the church for a service but she'd stop by and visit with my dad. The gal was a modern day Calamity Jane. I mean she was something. She decided that since she was getting older (and she was OLD), she'd move down to the Ozarks with her sister. My dad offered to help her pack up and clean out her home and had me come along to help. The woman was living in the original home from the 1800s. She had some treasures in there for sure, those we helped her load on a truck (and if you are picturing the truck from the Beverly Hillbillies, you are not far off!), but she also had a ton of junk that we had to help dispose of. Her home was the filthiest place I have EVER been in with more cats than I care to remember. She obviously had rarely if ever had visitors and with no one else there, one had to wonder how many friends she had. She was so touched at our help and I hope that little gesture spoke enough to her to maybe have her consider the salvation message my dad shared with her so often. I mean really, the ticks we had to pick off our bodies at the end of that day (REALLY!) would be totally worth it if I saw her dancing in heaven one day.

Two of my sister's memories are below. Their own words made me smile and I think they'll make you smile too.

From my sister, Kristin:
lol. And remember R (it was a deaf woman from our church) and her son W that lived with us? She licked her spoon after she took every bite. lol It made me wash the dishes a little better.

From Karla:
Speaking of the example that Mom and Papa were, do you guys remember the people that either lived with us or we always gave a ride to church to? I have been thinking about it more and more as a mom and how inconvenient that would be for Mom and Papa. There was one guy who I think must have been mentally challenged or something that rode with us to church and always said Katie was his girlfriend? I think she was just a baby at the time....lol.

The fact of the matter is, I was given amazing parents. Today all I can help think is, "To whom much is given, much is to be expected." Honestly, I can do a lot better job of loving the unlovable or loving even when it is inconvenient. I was given one heck of an example and it was SO normal that I often don't reflect on it, but I am thankful today's given me an opportunity to reflect. I hope and pray that one day my children can look back at all the "crazy" things Marc and I did in the name of Jesus and they to will think that it is normal!

My beautiful Family

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What awesome memories! Such a great way to grow up :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great fam pic and such an amazing tribute to your parents- we knew they were awesome meeting them!!ALso, encouraged me today as I often think- this life is too crazy for them...maybe though with His grace they will look back and remember it all as our family loving people for Jesus! That si our prayer!

    ReplyDelete