Sunday, December 15, 2013

Advent Day 12

12/12/13- “Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of his faithful people.  Let Israel rejoice in their Maker; let the people of Zion be glad in their King.  Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbre and harp.  For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.  Let his faithful people rejoice in this honor and sing for joy on their bed.”  Psalm 149:1-5
 
Today is one of those days, I disagree with the what most people told me, "Going from three to four kids is no big deal."  This is true in a sense, we were already maxed out, already outnumbered, etc.  But I do notice so many differences.  I am sure I've mentioned them- laundry and dishes seem to have doubled;)   I notice we go through food at rapid paces.  A loaf of bread is enough for one lunch- crazy.  Milk can't seem to stay in the fridge.  We should buy stock in yoplait, we eat so much yogurt.  I suppose much of this is because we brought home a two year old instead of a newborn and my kids are all in growing spurts, still, I am still waiting to quit noticing the differences, even though I love most of them.  Advent has been another adjustment.  Just one more to care for, make it really difficult to get everything done.  Having a 2, 3, and 5 year old at home all day is just craziness.  If I am focusing on laundry or cleaning, I turn around and they've trashed the basement or their bedrooms.  I focus on working with them to get those done (they are all learning to be great picker ups, but little mr. two year old needs supervision or he sabatoges his job and everyone elses;), and I turn around to find somehow the sink if full again and I forgot a load of wash in the washer that needs to be redone;)  I just have zero margin.  It really is comical.  Adding in advent means, fun, but also that other things are sort of crumbling.  I wouldn't trade it for the world, this is such a special time of year, but I cannot deny I am absolutely EXHAUSTED this year.

Today, I had originally planned Candy Cane day, but last night I realized it would be stressful.  Phin had a doctors appointment this morning.  I have a friend who graciously agreed to come speak at Ava's school for their Kids Around the World program.  She has a two month old.  I agreed to bake a recipe she gave me for a arabic cake eaten for special occasions in Zanzibar.  I also met her at the school, after dropping my three younger ones at my moms, to hold her little guy while she spoke. I knew realistically trying to do the Candy Cane day I had planned was too much.  So I swapped days with next Thursday.

Even trying to make the day more doable, didn't quite work as planned:).  No dance party happened today.  After the Kids around the world, it was a terrible time to for her to drive back to the city.  It would have taken her three hours.  It was dinner time, so we all went to my moms, where she had hot dogs and s'mores all ready (Thanks, Mom;).  By the time we picked up and got home it was an hour after our bedtime.

We all agreed, hanging with our friends, was an unexpected Advent gift anyway;)

No comments:

Post a Comment