Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sanity (or something closely resembling it) has returned

SO yesterday was pretty crazy- no doubt about it and I didn't sleep well last night after posting my blog entry. Am I an idiot to share my poop tale of woe with the whole world? Most probably...what's done is done. I am sure I'll get a poop joke here and there and maybe a few funny looks, but I'll survive. I had an incident in junior high where I sat in poop (not my own). It was at the time of "Helen Keller" jokes at my school; they called me "Helen Keller Surprise" for like two years. I survived that humiliation. Adults teasing is nothing compared to adolescents. Bring it on, my friends, bring it on...but don't come crying to me when something similar happens to you.

Today is not horrible at all- the sun is shining brightly. The basement has stayed dry and we indeed seem to have gotten through the ordeal with little damage. PHEW!

My poor daughters seems, however, to be caught in a circle of bum "luck". I forgot to mention that leaving dance yesterday she slipped climbing into the car (because it was so wet). She has a nasty dark purple mark on her cheek. This morning, as I was getting ready for the day, I heard the most horrendous noise that all mothers instantly recognize as "INJURY IMMENENT". I followed the sound of Ava's wailing and found her on the floor in the bathroom. Again, she slipped because of water. This time because of her own mischief. Her forehead had a huge bump and despite immediate ice application, it is also turning a lovely shade of purple. I am monitorring her behavior in the event we might have some intracranial bleeding. I really am praying there is no indication of such a terrible event, but can't help wondering what they'll think of us as parents if we end up bringing her in to the ER. She has a right leg that is still hugely scabbed from a fall on her bike last week, a black and blue cheek, a knot on her forehead, and a weird tiny dot bruise on her tummy of unknown origin (perhaps she ran into a pencil?;). Anywho- I am assuming we just need to call this time her "suicide stage" and hope she comes out of it in one piece. Poor kid!

She actually did have a decent day despite her early fall. She started soccer this morning. Marc had to bribe her to participate. She is in a shy stage and as I learned from our swimming lesson debacle she doesn't like to be stared at or not know how to do something. Marc bribed her with ice cream, she gave it a try, and loved it, apparently proclaiming, "I can do this!". We seem to have a little athlete on our hands. I may never be a full fledged supermom, but I just might be a soccer mom- minivan and all. (I add the minivan comment because I pray for one almost daily-yep, that is what I have become!)

Phin had music class during her soccer class. It was rather uneventful. He loved it, as most babies do and I loved the one on one time with him. The only humorous aspect of the class is the reaction I get when people realize his name is, indeed, Phineas. Now we picked that name because of it's meaning and biblical significance, but do people not read magazines? Julia Roberts named her son Phineas (a fact I neglected to tell my husband, much to his chagrin later on;). Sure I myself thought she was weird four years or so ago when I read it, but like anything it becomes less weird with time. My son is adorable, chubby, smiley and yes- his name is Phineas. No, he won't hate his name because he will not be a dork named Phineas, he will be a cool kid named Phineas and all your kids will be envious that they too don't have such a unique sounding name- so quit looking at me like I am insane and show your baby how to shake his/her maracca.

It's naptime 'round here, so I am going to go find my spot on the couch and curl up for a much needed snooze. To think yesterday looked so bleak, but today I even have time for a nap! (AND I have Portillo's Chocolate cake in my fridge for an afternap snack;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you mentioned that Ava has a hard time with classes. Instead of bribing my son, I threatened him with spending the entire day in his room if he didn't stop whining and start trying to participate in his soccer class. Turns out he loved it (which I knew that he would). It's so hard to know when to push and when to coddle.

    ReplyDelete