Friday, June 12, 2009


Ava had her first dance class today. She'll be learning Ballet and Tap. She has asked to take Ballet for months, however, this morning when I told her today was the day she started getting nervous. I think a negative experience with swimming lessons left her a little shy about the whole "class" thing. Thankfully, we are taking dance with one of her best friends and she also was relieved to know the teacher was a "girl" (apparently she didn't dig the male swimming instructor?).


As soon as she got comfortable about the idea, she was excited. She was also quick to inform me that she already knows ballet (watching Angelina Ballerina has made her an expert apparently!), but that she does not what tap dancing is. When I reminded her of the shirly temple movies she watches at my moms she became BESIDE herself with glee, "I am going to dance like Shirley Temple on the stairs?!!!"


We arrived early because we had to buy tap shoes. I was thankful that a 11m seemed to fit okay even though she has a wide foot. We'll have to special order wides in the future...and I'm told they are twice as expensive (OF COURSE!!!). As I wrote the check I began to wonder if this little endeavor would be worth it!


It turns out- she and Julia are the only two in the Friday class. They have a private lesson for a class price. What a deal we got. This dance thing has to be one of the cutest things EVER. My daughter followed directions so well (so did Julia) and I was in awe at how quickly she took to Miss Jessica. She was eager to try each new move and so proud of herself when she "got" it. It seems dance is indeed in her blood. She constantly dances around the house and her dress up clothes are half tutu's and leotards. She excited to have new moves to practice. She's asked me repeatedly today if she gets to go to dance again next Friday. She especially digs the tap shoes (noisey wins). I think I may have to hide them between classes;)


I am relieved. I myself was nervous that we'd have a repeat of the botched swimming lessons (after all she loves swimming too and hated the lessons!). Not only does my daughter get to do something she loves, with a deal friend no less, but I get to hang out with Julia's mom for an hour each Friday. I think it just may turn into our favorite day of the week;)

No comments:

Post a Comment