Friday, April 16, 2010

Sheboygan, WI

We have now been in our home for two whole weeks. Does that make me an official Wisconsinite? I suppose it does, but I am pretty sure I could never really bring myself to wear one of those cheese head things; I love cheese and all, but I just don't get that one...


Our transition has been difficult and yet a blessing. It is hard to see your four year old struggling with the change. No matter how firmly my mind knows she'll be okay, my heart breaks for her when she cries about missing friends or asks how long it'll be until she has friends that will come over to play. Marc and I too, have had lonely moments of realizing "we don't know anyone"- particularily for me every time someone asks what we'll do if I go into labor early; I have no answer:) At the same time, I am thankful for stillness. I am thankful for this amazing home and yard and I have this calm assurance that this is precisely where we are supposed to be. Though there is still much decorating and settling to do, it does weirdly already feel like home.


I have felt quite an urgency to get out and meet people. The birth of this baby girl looms ahead and I feel like if I don't have a couple friends in place in ten weeks, how will I make them?;) At the same time, putting myself out there has been difficult. I realize that I am just not very good at feeling weak, needy, and vulnerable. In order to make friends, one must be friendly, but it hard to put yourself out there with no guarantee of acceptance. I find myself praying a lot. I suppose that is something else I am thankful for. I definitely feel needy and weak and this is forcing me to depend on HIM who is strong and can supply all my needs. Really is there any better place to be?


I went on Tuesday to a mom's group at at a local church. It was a bit chaotic (as many moms groups are), but it was nice to just be with moms and I hope to continue attending and make a few friends there. The same day I decided there is no time like the present and, in the evening, attended the women's bible study at the Evangelical Free Church, where I think we are going to attend regularily.


I pulled up and immediately realized I would probably be one of the only young ones there if the ladies entering ahead of me were an indication of the class population. It turned out I wasn't one of the only young ones, I was THE only young one. Can I just say, it was great?! The ladies were very welcoming and I was reminded in the conversation that women are women. I felt welcomed and accepted. I feel like I can learn a lot from some of the ladies, but I also felt like I have things to contribute. They are studying a book on the Armor of Christ and I am thrilled to be challenged and encouraged. I am going to keep going. One of the things we desired in our church hunting was more age diversity and I am excited to make friends of all ages! I came home very excited about the study and each of the ladies that attend.


We've met some nice neighbors and even have a little boy a few months older than Phin living right next door. Ava loves her new school (my next challenge is getting to know moms there- thus far that has proved a bit challenging as everyone is rushing at drop off to get on to their errands, etc.). Marc's job is going well. There are yummy restaurants here and I am thoroughly enjoying my large kitchen as I prepare meals, etc. There are undoubtedly many ups and downs ahead (I can't imagine, for example, it's not going to any easier to clean this house as my belly continues to grow and the back pain worsens;), but what a wonderful thing it is to know you are where God wants you to be!


(I promised to post pics (and would even love some feedback on what to do with the mantel on my fireplace) but for some reason we are having trouble with our laptop uploading at the moment;P So...I will blog a second post about Ava's fab. birthday party three weeks ago and atleast post those pics so those interested can see updated photos of my kids and allow myself to brag about an area of motherhood I am confident in- party planning;)

1 comment:

  1. I feel you...it is hard to make new friends. Praying is an awesome use of yoru time, He will bring teh right people in your life. love you all even if you are cheese heads :)

    ReplyDelete