Thursday, August 15, 2013

Adoption Update;)

Christian has his passport!!!  Yippee!

We are now on the US side of things, which should make time lines more predictable.  Though I have to say, I am really confused much of the time.  I thought this made us four weeks out...but I am told I was wrong.  It may be more like eight weeks until we're bringing our guy home.

This is what I am told happens from here...

Christians case is now being investigated by USCIS.  They look at his file an ensure everything is inline .Make sure they verify the facts of his status as an orphan, etc.  If he had living birth parents, they would interview them, etc.  They interviewed the crèche director in May.  This could be a short process, but we are told to allow an average of four weeks.  As much as I hate to wait, I am thankful we have this step- it is to help prevent child trafficking.

Once this investigation is complete, they hand our file to the Department of State for visa approval.  Christian will go to the Embassy for a visa appointment.  It often take three weeks to GET an appointment, though it can happen much faster. And then allow a week for an Exit Letter.

Honestly, I don't even really understand the exit letter part.  It's all legal stuff, that I am glad we have people helping us with...all I know is we are know on the US side of things, so the time lines given are pretty good estimates.  Just so thankful for more movement, for progress, for the light clearly shining at the end of the tunnel.

I have a good feeling that fall is going to be extra special this year;)

2 comments:

  1. Such happy news! Know we're rejoicing and waiting and praying with you! XO

    ReplyDelete