Friday, February 18, 2011

Boredom is a GOOD thing!

A friend with older children told me recently she though boredom was the breeding ground for imagination. When her children would come to her saying, "I'm bored!" She would excitedly reply, "Great! This is the perfect time for you to use your imagination."

One of my favorite things about my children is their imagination! I love listening to them play, looking at their drawings, and even, believe it or not, helping them pick up a crazy mess when the mess was a result of an active imagination. I really filed Summar's words away. I appreciate and value imagination but never had made it's connection to boredom.

Today, Ava was at School and Phin wanted to watch TV. He had already watched his daily show so I said "no." He was frustrated because I also wasn't playing with him, as I had housework to do. I simply ignored his protests and said, "Go play, buddy." He did occupy himself for quite some time with his Toy Story characters, but when I started sweeping he decided to help. He ran to get his broom from the closet and "helped".


Within a matter of minutes his broom became a horse and he trotted around the house saying, "Giddyup Bullseye!" He literally entertained himself on his little cowboy adventure for like 20 minutes. I took some pictures (cuz he's so darn cute) and as I snapped my little cowboy, Summar's words rang in my head. Boredom the breeding ground for imagination. What a gift!




No comments:

Post a Comment