Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Someone's doing a happy dance....

There have been times when I have looked at another mother and thought, "How does she do it?" The Dunger mom (from 18 Kids and Counting) for example. I mean, how can you look at that woman and not wonder if she ever want to run away from her life? I know her show is edited and she has her older kids to help raise the younger ones, but I can't help but admire her organization, joy and overall stamina when I watch her on TV. I am not at all saying I'd want to be pregnant for 80% of my life (I mean really, I wonder at this point if she just give birth, looks at her body in the mirror and realizes she will NEVER have a normal stomach again and thinks, "atleast when I am pregnant, it's firm." and so decides to just do it again.), but I admire her for the way she runs her life.

My problem is that I don't have enough energy to sustain perfection. I guess this keeps me humble. Humility is a good thing. It is also good to have a good day. Today was a top notch day. I put my kids in bed and looked in the mirror to see if I'd sprouted a cape and a costume at some point. Of course, I was still in my black shirt and red shorts, but I did say to my reflection, "well done, Miss Poppins, well done." Today I babysit a friend of Ava's and I dog sat my sister's dog. My kids were in bed on time, my house is clean, I had dinner ready for my husband when he got home, and I didn't lose my temper at all with my daughter who reached the top of the grumpy scale this evening after missing her afternoon nap. I am almost giddy with how well the day went. Yes, indeedy, I wondered how I did it!

Of course, pride comes before a fall, so let's be honest. Red is a power color, but my shorts aren't magic. I have no super powers...but I serve a God who does. I didn't really do it today, did I? I recieved an extra dose of grace. I feel awesome, yes, but if tomorrow isn't so perfect that feeling will fade...God IS awesome. He does not fade. He is responsible for the amazing day, but it sure was fun to "play dress up" for a while.

2 comments:

  1. If today doesn't go as well as yesterday, put those red shorts back on! ;-) Can I borrow them?

    ReplyDelete