Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, Whose the Fairest of Them All

Today I had a babysitter. I love days to myself. They are just great. I can get so many errands done and still have a few moments to read a book and visit with a friend or two. It really makes me wonder how I managed my time BEFORE I had kids. Did I realize how much you can get DONE in eight uninterrupted hours?!

At the TOP of my errand list today was an eyebrow wax. I don't know if anyone is reading this and thinking, "It is about time, girl!", but if so, I wouldn't be surprised. I was starting to feel like I had two caterpillars on my face.

My eyebrows are not difficult. I have a natural arch and they aren't extremely unmanageable. Before I had children, I would pluck them myself- now I just don't have the time, so I've been paying to get it done quickly and professionally. Today I am not quite sure what happened. They lady at Triccoci who typically does them was off, so I agreed to see another esthetician. I wasn't worried about it because a) I didn't know anything about Lucia before my first appointment, so not knowing Suzanna was no different and b) I have never had a problem, even when going to cheap hole in the wall places.

Because I am blogging about it and because I posted it on my facebook status, you have most certainly already surmised that it was not a great experience. First of all, it hurt like the flippin' dickins. Not in the standard, quick, "ouch" and then it's over kind of way, but in a "I think I am going to jump through the ceiling in a moment" kind of way. The girl didn't hold the skin taught while she removed the wax; I was afraid that I would lose an eyelid. Perhaps the trauma of the procedure explains why, when she handed me the mirror upon completion, I quickly uttered, "great, thanks!"

I paid at reception and tipped her...well. (Why I tip without thinking about the deservedness of the tip is a topic for another day.) I walked quickly to my car, hoping no one would stare at my hot pink eyebrows. I buckled in and pulled down my visor mirror for a closer look.

"AHHH!" I literally screamed a loud. My first thought was, "Is this lady legally blind?" What the heck was she looking at when she was supposed to be tweezing my eye brows? A three year old child could easily tell you "they don't match"! My second thought was, "Is there a new 'two different eye brows' trend that I am unaware of? My final thought was, "Why did I not notice in THERE when I could have had her fix it? What in the heck!!!?"

I was SOOO self conscious the remainder of the afternoon. Not only were my eye brows extremely mismatched, they were highlighted by the surrounding hot pink irritated skin- lovely. I almost stopped by my friend Nicole's house, just to see how bad it was. She's brutally honest- I wanted to see if she'd say "Did you know your eye brows are uneven?", but I saved her the unexpected visit;)

You can guess how I spent the first part of my evening. I may just be in love with Mr. Tweezer. I was able to remember my pluckin' skills and rectify the situation- I think. My husband tells me they look great. Perhaps I'll pay Nicole a visit tomorrow to make sure...

The finished product for you curious onlooker, sorry I didn't take a "before", though you can see my lids are still a bit swollen (and please don't add any comments about how badly I need a facial- that is another day and another dollar, dear friends):

3 comments:

  1. Umm, I'm brutally honest?!? I'd much rather be called your super frugal friend, who has mad couponing skills! And, you could have come by. I love unexpected visits. So, come by tomorrow, and well you're here you can take care of my caterpillars!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you are brutally honest,dear friend, you have lots of mad skills. I can always count on you for a reality check when a need one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job of rectifying the situation. They now look great!

    ReplyDelete