Friday, April 16, 2010

Ava's Fourth Birthday Party

I LOVE to plan parties. I am told I will tire of it eventually, but at the moment that idea seems proposterous. I love being creative and making a memorable day for my kiddo. This year, Ava decided she wanted a princess party. Every little girl, it seems, wants one at some point and she is about as girly as they come- her request came as no surprise. I was surprise, however, when a couple weeks into planning, she came to me and said, "I think I'll just have a Dora party again." I asked her why and she said, "cuz that was a really great party and I want a special day like that again." I assured her I was also going to make this princess party special. Immediately I knew I had set the bar a little high when she responded in excitement and awe, "Are you going to get me a pumpking carriage." AYE!



I come from a family of 4 girls. All of us are girly girls and I am the lowest maintenance one in the bunch. Perhaps I am the laziest one in the bunch is more accurate, as my problem has more to do with the fact that if I am going to spend an hour on myself, I'd prefer to crawl in bed with a good book;) Anywho- my sisters are all great and they all love my kids to death, so who better to put to work at a princess party?




The little girls arrived in dress, but had been told ahead of time that their hair and makeup would be done for "the ball" when the arrived. My sister's Kristin and Katie did hair, Karla did nails, and my neice, Jordan, helped the girls put on lip gloss and blush. I had purchased crowns and wands and plenty of sparkly hair glitter. While the girls were awaiting their turns at each station they could color a princess picture or play with playdough. I had made pink and white playdough and added glitter and provided them with good princessy cutters, like glass slippers, crowns, etc. When the girls were ready, I told them before they could go to the ball, they had to pass the princess test. I read them the book "The Princess and the Pea" and then put a pea under a pillow and had each girl sit on it and see if they could feel the pea. They were amazed that they could (what they didn't know is I had taped a small bouncy ball to the underside of pillow inside the case;).
Because the all passed the test, they got to ride in.....the carriage to the ball! My beloved mother and father took Ava's wagon and transformed it into a beautiful carriage. Ava had no idea and all the girls loved it. Because it was raining, the ride was short, but they got out and entered the ballroom through pink curtains. We had decorated our family room like a ball room.



After a bit of dancing, the girls got to eat pizza we'd cut into crown or glass slippers, "safe" apples courtesy of snow white, cheese courtesy of Cinderella's mice, jewel shaped finger jello, and pink lemonade.

They all went home looking lovely and with gift bags with "make-you-own" candy necklaces, rings, nail polish, lipgloss, stickers, and priness fruit snacks.
My beautiful little girl loved her party and must have thanked us a hundred times. Making her feel as special as she is, only made me look forward to her next birthday! My hope is that she grows to know that God's love for her is even more extravagent!

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing...you should be a kid's party planner!! Where did you get all those ideas..rockstar!!!

    ReplyDelete